Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Fantastic Lady

I remember the summers I spent with my grandmother--how she would take us to this museum for kids. I remember how we would drag her to her pool everyday and spend hours there. I remember her and I watching and loving The Golden Girls every Saturday night. I remember spilling grape juice on my white pants in church and Mamaw getting the stain out. I remember playing cards and Mamaw always saying, "Take a chance, Columbus did." I remember stopping at Hardee's with just Mamaw and me on the way to Myrtle Beach when I was 18 and for the first time feeling grown-up. I remember Mamaw making the world's best chicken and dumplings. I remember taking my grandmother as a "Single Person Over 21" to be a checklist item on a Scavenger Hunt on the cruise she sent my family on. I remember laughing and dancing with her to "Tennessee Waltz" at my wedding. I remember crying with her and listening to her stories when her daughter passed away. I remember babysitting my cousin Collin with her which was the first time I had ever been around a baby. I remember her teaching crafts to people 20 years her junior. I remember Mamaw and Jess combing through photo albums for what seemed like hours. I remember her delighted reaction to hearing the news that we were pregnant and then hearing a more excited reaction of congratulations when Brody was born. I remember a lady that could hardly ever spell my name correctly. I remember playing in her walk-in closet as a kid and thinking that it was the most hidden place on earth. I remember how much my grandmother loved her family and only wanted the best for them. I remember a woman that loved and trusted God. I remember a fantastic lady!

1 comment:

Time of Joy Photography said...

Aaron,

This is a wonderful memorial to her. Leaving behind a legaty of such love is what life is all about.

Aunt P